Planning Project Manager (Sarasota) 14 April 2021
Waldrop Engineering is seeking a Project Manager with a degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Landscape Architecture, or related field for our Sarasota office. As a Project Manager, you will be involved in the planning and project management process, including the preparation and processing of complex land use petitions for private sector clientele, the preparation and processing of a variety of planning studies and regulatory tools for local governments, due diligence analysis, providing planning support to Waldrop’s Civil Engineering and Landscape Architecture Departments, maintaining client and agency relationships, and executing public presentations for successful project completion.
The selected candidate must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to work independently and accurately on complex planning projects. The selected candidate must demonstrate the ability to analyze project data in relation to applicable codes and regulations in order to generate creative, workable solutions and achieve project success.
Waldrop Engineering is a full-service consulting firm offering Planning, Landscape Architecture, and Civil Engineering services to a diverse clientele across the state. Our Planning & Landscape Architecture Department engages in master planning and community design; processing and managing entitlement petitions (including but not limited to rezonings, Comprehensive Plan Amendments, and annexations); public outreach and consensus building efforts; and Land Development Code and policy formulation on behalf of local governments and private developers.
Job Description and Functions:
- Independently prepare a variety of land use applications in jurisdictions across Southwest Florida, including but not limited to administrative amendments, rezonings, comprehensive plan amendments, due diligence reports, and presentations to support residential, commercial, mixed-use and institutional development projects.
- Manage projects independently with minimal oversight from management, including serving as the primary client interface, coordinating directly with governmental Staff on project-related issues, developing successful project strategies, identifying solutions and alternatives in response to Requests for Additional Information, and managing project schedules and deadlines. Candidate will continue to independently manage multiple projects with increasing complexity.
- Analyze project data and local Land Development Code regulations to determine project’s compliance and/or identify required deviations and formulate corresponding justifications. Candidate will continue to expand skill set in applying relevant regulations to projects and developing innovate solutions to troubleshoot issues in the achievement of Client goals.
- Conduct accurate research, and the collection of data from a variety of local, state, and federal sources to support various planning initiatives.
- Prepare land development code regulations, comprehensive plans, and a variety of research assignments for local governments.
- Provide support to Landscape Architecture and Civil Engineering Staff relating to the identification of local code requirements, entitlement processes available to achieving project goals, and potential solutions and alternatives, to support land planning and site planning efforts. Candidate will continually increase efficiency and effectiveness in this area.
- Assist, prepare and conduct public presentations, including public hearings, community outreach, and neighborhood workshops. Candidate will continue to independently develop presentation skills and prepare for public hearings on projects of increased complexity and contention.
- Assist the Planning Department Staff with various administrative tasks in support of planning initiatives, including filing, organizing internal and external meetings and cataloguing reports, and/or coordinating with other staff in the completion of these tasks.
- Assist in training entry-level Planning Department Staff on processes and procedures. Candidate will demonstrate growing maturity and expanded skill set in the development of the Planning Team through assistance with training activities.
- Maintain high level of professionalism and self-awareness in the representation of Waldrop Engineering to clients, government officials, government staff, and industry colleagues (both internal and external to the Company).
The Applicant Must Have the Following Skill Sets:
- Must be able to work independently and develop solutions to issues that arise during the planning process
- Strong analytical skills to interpret research data for reports and apply mathematic techniques in practical situations
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skill and professional maturity to develop good working relationships with Waldrop Team, clients, and government staff
- Capable of managing multiple, high-priority assignments with increased levels of complexity
- Ability to manage projects effectively in terms of budget and deadlines
- Proficiency in utilizing available resources to locate project information, including but not limited to: Land Development Codes, Code of Ordinances/Administrative Codes; and Comprehensive Plans; governmental websites and databases; Clerk of Courts websites and search engines; Sunbiz; Geographical Information Systems (GIS); Florida Statutes; and Florida Administrative Code
- Ability to maintain and protect confidentiality
- Have obtained or is actively seeking certification through American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
The Project Manager must possess a bachelor or master’s degree in urban and regional planning, or a closely related field, and five (5) years of experience in the planning field in a professional capacity. Public hearing experience is required. Preference will be given to candidates that have obtained or are in the process of obtaining AICP certification.
Interested candidates must include a cover letter, resume, and relevant portfolio/work samples to: [email protected] Candidates will be evaluated based on relative work experiences, work samples, degree work, and performance interview. Please visit our web site at www.WaldropEngineering.com for more information.
Phone: (239) 405-7777
Email: [email protected]